Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right??
I’m always on the hunt for quick, easy, and nutritious meal ideas for my LO. If and when I can, I try to do a combination of protein, carb, and fruit. Here are some of our tried and true favorites:
- waffles, bacon/sausage, fruit, yogurt
- English muffin with butter, ham, cheese
- omelet (sneak in some veggies and protein), hash browns, fruit
- avocado, oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar
- pancakes, eggs with cheese, fruit
- cottage cheese, Hawaiian roll (my LO just discovered these and is OBSESSED), fruit
- cream of wheat, eggs, fruit
- peanut butter, toast, fruit
- toasted bagel with cream cheese, fruit, bacon/sausage (I try to watch her sodium intake but Nugget LOVES bacon!)
- muffin, cheese, fruit
- Jimmy Dean’s breakfast sandwiches (Hubs doesn’t like the preservatives but when we’re in a hurry…)
If your LO is anything like mine, they will discover something they like…eat it for days on end…then abandon it. Nugget was in love with raisins for a while…now she launches them off her high chair. Usually, I just let Sox have at her launches but I have to scoop up all the raisins before he gets to them. Hard to do with this belly!
Ironically, Nugget loves vegetables and is so-so on fruit. Hubs has been making smoothies–voila! Several servings of fruit guzzled down unawares.
Sometimes, we do leftovers or lunch/dinner for breakfast.
- mac and cheese
- baked chicken and rice
- steamed veggies
- grilled cheese
This morning, we had baked salmon, rice, asparagus (leftover lunch from day before) and French onion soup (leftover from dinner). Some days, you just roll with what you’ve got in the fridge!
Things I haven’t tried giving her yet but would like to:
- french toast
- mini egg bake
I like to keep exposing Nugget to different foods and flavors. I also like to try to give her as balanced a diet as possible. It’s a work in progress but we just keep experimenting as the days go on.
What are some of your tried and true faves?