It’s hard to know what are the must haves for baby until baby actually arrives. There are so many products, toys, and gadgets out there! Knowing what to buy also entails knowing what kind of parenting lifestyle you will be engaging in. Cloth diapers or disposable? Breastfed or bottle? Bed sharing or crib? Exactly which baby products will you need???
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item through this site, I will receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. For more information, read my disclaimer and disclosure policy.
Many times, baby will dictate whether or not you even use the thing you bought that you were so excited about.
Hubs and I are avid researchers when it comes to buying anything. We pore over product reviews, interview fellow parent friends, and troll our Facebook parenting groups. Word of mouth and other people’s experiences really play a large role in helping us with our “must haves for baby” selections.
Without further ado, here is a list of my favorites, based on our lifestyle:
1. oogiebear Ear & Nose Cleaner – I stumbled upon this little gem by accident. What a find! Works amazingly well for scooping out little boogies (much better than the bulb, in my opinion).
2. Fridababy NoseFrida Nasal Aspirator (also get the extra hygiene filters) – Speaking of cleaning out noses…this gadget is more for congestion and phlegm. It’s not as scary or intimidating as it seems! The foam filter prevents any of baby’s mucus from reaching your mouth. (Plus, you’d have to suck in A LOT of air for that to happen.) This has come in handy more than once for Nugget. I don’t think the bulb sucker would even fit in her tiny little nostril???
3. Safety 1st Steady Grip Infant Clipper – I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this clipper! This must definitely be included in your must haves for baby arsenal. I’ve had a few and most just don’t cut it for me (pun intended).
4. Pampers Swaddlers Diapers – We tried a few different brands and have always come back to Pampers. For one thing, I LOVE the blue indicator line. (Why all diapers don’t have these, I’ll never know.) Two, we’ve YET to have a blow out. (Now that I’ve said it, I’ve probably just jinxed myself…) Three, they always fit Nugget perfectly and seem comfortable. *DIAPER HACK: Go up a size at night if you are worried about leakage.*
5. Pampers Sensitive Wipes – Funny but true story: This past week, we were running dangerously low on wipes so Hubs ran out to the store to get a pack or two to tide us over.
Hubs returned with a generic brand…I didn’t say anything but burst into giggles when, after a few days, he says, “I can’t wait until these wipes are done! You really get what you pay for. Never again.”
The generic brand was paper thin, flimsy, and pilled.
Now that we’re back to using Pampers Sensitive Wipes, order has been restored in the kingdom.
6. Marpac Dohm White Noise Machine – I love this machine for several reasons: 1. It’s not on a timer, so it just runs all night until you hit the off button (I’ve heard other moms complain about noise machines unceremoniously shutting off in the middle of the night.); 2. It really does drown out surrounding noises; 3. It’s not too loud.
7. Nest Cam Video Monitor – We both love this monitor. It works using Wi-Fi and we’ve taken it every time we’ve traveled anywhere. It’s hooked up to both Hub’s and my cell phones. Very handy! If you are concerned about the Wi-Fi thing, one suggestion is to change your password frequently (but we’ve never come across any issues).
8. Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat – Nugget HATED car rides with a passion. We had her in an infant car seat for the first 4 months. Then I read in one of my mommy car seat groups that switching over to a convertible car seat can make a world of difference. Boy, were they right! Nugget prefers being more upright than reclined.
Our friends also have this car seat and they swear by it. I like that it’s sturdy, affordable, and will last for a LONG time (50 lb. rear facing, 65 lb. front facing limit). It’s easy to install and maneuver.
9. North States Superyard Colorplay 8 Panel Playard – I love that this is multi-colored (it also comes in plain beige). You can also buy two extra panels (one with a door, which we have). GREAT for containing Little Miss and all of her toys and books and lovies!
10. Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate – Eventually, you will most likely need a gate to either keep baby in or out of a certain area. I love that this gate is pressure mounted (as opposed to hardware) and that you can open it with one hand. Bonus that it closes on its own! We also like the fact that it matches our decor.